Translate

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Online Card Classes Copic Markers for Cardmakers

     I signed up for an Online Card Classes Copics for Card Makers class and need a place to post my homework so I can share it with fellow students.
     The recommended card stock for the class is too thick to feed through my printer.  (Neenah Solar White #110-which I already had, or I could have used a lower weight of Neenah Solar White which I won't buy because I also own Gina K designs and Georgia Pacific and the three serve all my needs.)  I will have to re-do all the homework assignments with stamped images on the recommended card stock in order to see how the markers react to that base.  I am having a lot of bleeding outside the lines because the Georgia Pacific card stock isn't as absorbent as the Neenah Solar White.  I did try my Gina K designs card stock which went through my printer but doesn't seem to blend as well as the Georgia Pacific.  Hopefully when I use stamped images on Neenah Solar White card stock, it will be less likely to bleed out of the lines.

     Before Taking the Class

     I actually had homework before class and learned a few things.

  1. When printing digital images at home for my copics I need to set it up for matte card stock and don't use the "best" setting for the ink since it makes the images too wet.  I just need to use the default.
  2. I also need to wait two days after printing before coloring or else the ink is still a little wet and will smear.  Who knew?  I knew that I couldn't use it right away or it would smear, and I knew that if I let it set at least a week I could use it.  I had to experiment to find out exactly how many days it takes to dry using the Georgia Pacific cardstock and my printer.  Really?  How come I knew it didn't smear after several days but couldn't figure out it was because the ink was still wet?    

Balloon and Gift images courtesy of Sandy Allnock

 Day One of class:

Here is the balloon and gifts blending homework for Day 1.  I learned how to fill in shapes using several different techniques and how to feather.

  1. I really like to fill in large areas using the crosshatch fill method.  I didn't even know this existed.
  2. I can blend two different colors such as purple and grey and make them blend.
  3. I don't always need to use light to dark color shading in my blending.  I can sometimes start with the dark and blend to the light and I kind of like that look.
  4. I can add white gel pen to my images to create special looks.  I REALLY had fun adding gel pens to the images of the gift boxes!

     By the way, I only have 9 Copic markers since they are so expensive.  I have a large collection of Spectrum Noir markers but most have dried up.  The colors I post are going to be quite dull and not varied, but the class is all about learning and I can still learn with what I have and slowly add more markers to my collection.  I discovered that I LOVE the Copics so much more than the Spectrum Noirs. I knew that was going to happen.  I wonder if I am the student with the least amount of Copics to work with?


1 comment:

  1. I would like to say thanks for your sharing this useful information. Nice post keep it up. Hope to see you next post again soon.
    With Regards,
    White Card Training Courses in Sydney

    ReplyDelete