Translate

Friday, May 15, 2020

Sugaridoo/Bernina Quilt-A-Long (Halfway finished).


     This is the first time I am participating in a Quilt-a-long.  I remodeled my craft room and made room for most of my hoarded fabric from 25-30 years ago (including the fabric I inherited from my Mom in 2001-which was a much larger collection than mine.)  My sewing machine is now a permanent fixture in my craft room.  I previously made one twin size bed quilt, 4-5 mini quilts, a dresser "scarf" and a wall hanging which I pieced, quilted and bound by hand.  Of course this was all 25-30 years ago.  I then got married and raised my children.       
     Around October I was watching a video from the "Just Get It Done Quilts" YouTube channel and she mentioned two quilt-a-longs she was considering.  I checked both of them out.  The Sugaridoo QAL is a series of 12 rows over a year and that seemed manageable.  It made a twin size quilt which was perfect for all the gifts I want to make which are mostly twin sized.  The host of Sugaridoo is a delightful young lady from the Netherlands who is the most cheerful person I have seen on YouTube ever!  I signed up for the mystery quilt immediately.  Come to find out it is a modern quilt which is not at all my style but I used browns with an accent of gold to make it more subtle and as close to a classic style quilt as possible.  
     I am actually learning things and improving my quilt making techniques as I go.  I have perfected my quarter inch seam because of the QAL.  Who knew that my quarter inch foot needed to have the needle moved over 2 spaces to the right in order to sew a perfect quarter inch?  I guess I was naive all this time that I thought the quarter inch foot would make a quarter inch seam with no adjustments.  
     The photo above is the first 6 rows that I have made including a little of the back side of each row.  The seventh row instructions were just posted yesterday but I have a new project I am finishing on my sewing table as we speak so it will likely be a few more days or a week before I finish the most current row.
     And how has all of this affected my card making?  It made the card making come to a halt with the exception of my February 28, 2020 post.  I was going to participate in the longer virtual stamp night but the COVID-19 pandemic hit in full swing with hospitals running out of personal protection devices and my friends and family needing masks so as I was sewing my first 48 or so masks the virtual stamp night came and went.  Oh well.  I desperately want to sit down and spend a weekend making cards.  I am desperately low on them and due to my continued mask making for donations and my quilting I have been unable to send cards to my relatives.  I think many of them will be disappointed but I still wish them a Happy Birthday and by next year I will be on track.  My heart is missing card making though.

No comments:

Post a Comment